Survey Background

A survey of the Churchyard of Saint Mary the Virgin, Garforth, West Yorkshire was conducted around 1988-1990. This was before building work was to be carried out and a car park added. A photographic, map and text based record was made of the graves which can be searched on this website. The location of the graves; both marked and unmarked, represents the situation as it existed until 1990, at which time a new extension of the church fabric; at the eastern end, displaced several of the headstones.

Car-parking facilities to the South of the Church were extended at the same time, involving further displacements. Since then other factors, such as vandalism, or health & safety considerations have also caused the displacement of some memorials.

Nevertheless, for family historians seeking a record of the final resting place of relatives; deceased between 1674 and 1986, this survey still provides useful information. We have also provided links to the Parish Records of Garforth as an additional resource.

Click here to use to our search page

Garforth Historical Society